Thursday, January 13, 2011

Snow Day(s)


On Sunday night, six inches of snow fell while we were sleeping. It was one of those PERFECT snows, so rare in life in the south. We fell asleep to nothing and awoke to a white winter wonderland. It made every school child's dreams come true. I can remember so vividly that moment of pulling back the curtains and seeing the white world, knowing school was cancelled and I could go back to sleep (but make sure to wake up in time for the Price is Right). Plus, we haven't lost power. The crazy thing that won't happen again for 20 years is that the temps have stayed LOW, in the teens in the night and barely above freezing during the day. So, while the snow has begun to melt ever so slightly, everything is re-freezing at night. It's the re-freeze and the "slick as glass" roads that have led to school closings all week long. Furman has missed an unprecedented four days at the beginning of the term. In the meantime, amidst cries of stir-craziness, we've had a wonderful time. We've hunkered down, played outside, warmed by the fire, had dance parties, watched Shrek, baked cookies, taken walks, hung out tons with Uncle Rob and Annabelle (sadly Jaime was away for work in NJ), watched Shrek, missed therapy, been generally lazy, pretended to take trips to Singapore, not slept late, oh yeah, and we watched Shrek. Here's our house from a distance in the snow.
A Shrek viewing. Anders has developed the quality of obsessing about something for several weeks. For now it's the green ogre. That replaced Jason Aldean's big green tractor. Hmmm, there's a big green theme I see emerging. Humorously, Anders LOVES Lord Farquad, the least nice character in the movie. We can't figure it out or if he's compensating for being afraid of him, but Anders asked us 50 times on Tuesday for Farquad and then said he wanted Farquad (and the Dragon) to come over and play.
Anders stole my camera and took this picture about 25 times
Still drillin' and sawin' away. Also, Erik had a good trip to Boston and we picked Erik up in the parking lot of a credit union after he flew in on Sunday. Anders and I had been talking about Erik's trip and Boston and had even looked at a map. But, as we pulled into the empty credit union parking lot, he pointed at the building and said "That's Boston?"
Annabelle was a cozy companion during the snow daze
Mom.... pleeeeeease let me in, I'm coooooold.
Our road... three days in
Erik and his little buddy
Mom and the A-man
His trucks became snow plows

Lunch/thaw time
Uncle Rob is my hero
Trying to cross the yard in six-inch-deep snow is tough for a two-year old
Meanwhile, Halle stayed warm inside...... She snuggled tons, cut her fifth tooth, smiled a bunch and enjoyed trying some new foods.

Um, yeah, you guessed it.... Farquad.... Fiona.... Shrek.... in a beanbag, in jammies
Pops the sledding King!
Our front yard
Oh, I forgot to mention messes. Lots of messes.... every day. That was a big part of the snow break. We followed Anders around, cleaning. At least he tried to help.


I LOVE Sledding. So much. In fact, I love it so much, that, dare I say it, I hope we have one more snow this year!!! But, I better not press my luck.

No comments: