Sunday, October 31, 2010

lately

Lately we've had quite a bit of stress in our lives, but things seem to be evening out a little bit this weekend. We're so glad about that but know that crazy will likely return soon. Meanwhile Anders seems semi-oblivious to the stress, which is good. He has recently started saying "Sounds good," "That's fun," "No thank you," and "Oh, thanks" in response to many things. I might say "We're going to go get some pizza,"Oh thanks. That's fun," will be the response. Gotta love these little conversations. Also, we've recently found him playing by himself a little bit more, which always surprises us a bit and is fun to see. He loves to go out on the back porch and kick a ball around or throw the football. Unless he at some point rejects the many balls we have placed in his life, he may not have much of a choice about liking sports. He loves to go to Furman to "beefall" games (football) and to ride his bike (tricycle) around the lake. In one particularly sweet moment, I told him I had to go dry my hair, and probably because he didn't want me to stop playing with him, he said, "No. Mommy looks pretty." Awww. He has really been on a reading kick and he and his Dad have gotten lost upstairs for over an hour, only to be found beside a pile of every book from the bookshelf.... now on the floor.

We went to the First Pres (Anders' school) Fall Festival yesterday, which included a hay ride, sitting in a race car, face painting, inflatables, and much more. It was way fun. Anders also went trick or treating with Uncle Robby (his new name for Rob) at Elliott Davis, but he wanted to know why Uncle Jaime wasn't there! Anders has also been on a dancing kick, dancing around the living room, and pulling Tess out onto the dance floor at a friend's house for a five minute dance-a-thon while holding hands (too cute for words). He's been singing a lot: the ABCs, open and shut them, two little blackbirds, I'm a little pumpkin, ring around the rosy, BINGO, twinkle twinkle, Clean up Clean up, and the wheels on the bus.

Halle is doing very well this weekend -- seeming much more like herself the past couple of days, and even starting back to therapy on Friday. She's been smiling a little more, as she was before her surgery, and we're so glad to see it. The surgery was tough on her, and perhaps she had a little bit of a backslide, but she's such a hard worker and a fighter and she's bouncing back with gusto. Her head strength is getting there, and it's the most important thing. Then we can begin to work on core strength and reaching, etc. We're always proud of her.

Here are some photos from our life and times..... the first is Anders at the Children's Museum. It's from a couple of months ago, but I just got it from Mom and wanted to include it. He's playing in the splash pool here.

This is A-man this morning -- he was found cleaning the glass doors -- and having a ball while doing so. I hope he has this much energy for cleaning when he's 16.
I recently looked over the kitchen counter and found my brood chilling out together on the floor. Erik was napping and the two little ones were trying not to bother him. Unfortunately we recently found out that Erik has a herniated disc in his back, so we're trying lots of non-surgical options (therapy, heat, cortisone) to see if it gets better that way.
Most mornings this is where you'll find me.... in Anders crib with him. As soon as I go into his room he says "I want mommy rest in da bed," and how can I resist? I grab five books and get to put my head on the mattress for a few extra minutes.
Here's the sweet little miss with her wonderful physical therapist Heather.
Uncle Rob"by" and the A-man
Halle's baby blues
Probably watching Dancing with the Stars
Our wonderful wonderful babysitter Blanca swinging a sleeping Halle

No comments: